- Just wanted to drop you a line to thank you for talking me out of potentially the stupidest thing I ever could've done, and in the process saving me 12-15 years of hellish experience with an unsuitable breed of dog! Since you probably have no idea what I'm talking about or who I am, I'll refresh your memory . . . What was I thinking? Clearly, not much! I have no excuse for that temporary lapse in brain activity - perhaps I was blinded by their cute, little faces or something equally idiotic - but when you told me that was the stupidest idea ever and listed all the reasons why, I got to thinking about it - actually thinking about it properly . . . I just thought you might get a kick out of knowing that one minor conversation that you probably never thought about again actually sparked the thought that saved us from scent-hound-hell. I thought it was appropriate to thank you for the wake-up call, however abrasively it was put, haha. It got the point across and that's what matters. So, thanks!
- I appreciate you having taken care of **** for me while I was gone. I really needed the break. There's no one I would rather leave her with . . . for that matter, no one who would possibly be able to handle her.
- I thought I should let you know, as we brought **** to you on a regular basis, what happened to her. **** got sick very quickly. We took her to the vet and they found numerous medical conditions . . . Her prognosis was not good. We were told we could spend thousands to try and make her well, but even then the prognosis was not likely that she would survive. The vet suggested we put her down. We stayed with her stroking her until she died, both of us crying our eyes out. She blessed us with her company for many years and will be sadly missed. I wanted to thank you for all the many times we relied on you to take care of her and for your understanding and good care. God Bless you.
- Hope all is well with you! **** misses you of course, but is settling for us and being absolutely wonderful. He is perfect in his obedience and we couldn't be happier.
- Thank you for your insights the other day - I enjoyed meeting with you, and have taken everything you said to heart.
- You trained our Golden Retriever, ****, some time ago. I have been meaning to e-mail you to thank you and tell you that all is going exceptionally well with ****. I also wanted to thank you very much on the way you dealt with my 12 year-old granddaughter, ****, who came with me when we picked up **** and you included her in your instructions to us. It was, to this day, a highlight in her life and she now delights in taking **** for his "training walks".
- Hope all is going well. **** is doing great. I am shocked at how her stays are. Right from the start she didn't care how far I went, or how long I was gone for. We are up to 45 minutes out of sight without any corrections . . .
- . . . . his ability to read and assimilate both dog and handler far surpass what I have seen with other K-9 trainers anywhere in North America.
- Mr. Evans' knowledge pertaining to animals, particularly dogs, is second to none.
- . . . . I know that the sit/stay/heel portion of his time with you is very important but as the person most effected by his "acting out" I was in tears as I watched you work him and realized that you were actually going to be able to teach him to behave and obey.
- Don's methods of training in obedience and protection should be the set standard for trainers all across North America to follow . . . .
- **** was scheduled to be put down the very day that we took him to your facility and if not for a phone conversation with your wife that was extensive, informative and optimistic, detailing the work that you had done and the proven results of your training, we would have been deprived of what we now know will be a welcome and wonderful addition to the household. Up to the point of my dialing your number virtually everyone I had talked to had told me simply give up and have the dog put down.
- If we decide in a year or two to let **** have pups we will get a bunch of your business cards and recommend the training that our two dogs got - well worth it.
- Thanks again for your enlightening sessions with us and for helping us get back on track.
- Your professionalism and words of wisdom and kindness are greatly appreciated.
- We got **** from the S.P.C.A. when she was only seven weeks old. Right from the start her behaviour was unusual. My mother held her on her lap for the ride home and her fingers were bleeding from **** constant biting. I brought my four year old grandson up the next day to play with the new puppy. It was a complete disaster. Within a few minutes she had bitten him hard enough to draw blood, scratched him and torn his clothes. We had never seen a puppy behave this way but we kept hoping she would improve with time. We were wrong. The older she got the worse she behaved. Whenever anyone came to the house she would launch herself at them scratching and biting. She lunged at my daughter's throat on one occasion and bit her hard enough to draw blood. We soon learned to keep her away from everyone. She behaved better with my husband and I but she still bit us on a regular basis. We couldn't even pet her or show her any affection without her getting completely out of control. She was also extremely stubborn and would bark at us and get aggressive if we crossed her. When I took her in for her shots our vet was very alarmed at the way she behaved. She warned us she would eventually have to be put down if we couldn't get her under control. She suggested we call in a local trainer to evaluate her. We gave him a call right away. He spent about two hours with her and told us we shouldn't keep her. He said she was extremely intelligent but was so high strung she was completely unsuitable as a pet. We told him we wanted to keep her anyway. He then suggested we take her to obedience classes but to give ourselves a six week deadline. If we didn't see marked improvement in that time he urged us to get rid of her. I knew obedience classes were out of the question. To try and control this dog in a room full of other dogs and people would be impossible.
In desperation I looked through the phone book and found the number for the Evans Training Centre. I gave him a call. He was the first person who didn't seem to be surprised by her behaviour and actually had something positive to say . We very badly wanted to keep this dog so we packed her up and took her down to him.
If we had not done this I am quite sure we would have eventually had no choice but to have her put down. If we are in contact with anyone who has a problem with any dog, we will recommend him to them as we are very pleased with how he trained ****.
- . . . . everyone falls in love with him and comments on how well-trained he is . . . . I sometimes forget this until I meet other people's dogs and realize how well-mannered he really is. I am also wondering if you might have another German Shepherd that you would be willing to sell? If you don't have one available now I would appreciate you letting me know as soon as one is available.
- . . . . when we were watching your video her ears were up and paying attention and even went as far as to go down when she heard you say "down" in your demonstration. I think she misses you . . . . I find, even walking around the house, without her collar on, she heels and does the automatic sit. It's wonderful. I can honestly say there is a change in her. She has matured a lot!! Her barking has subsided, unless there is someone in her yard, or at the door. She will also stay in the yard now, where as before she would jump the fence or sneak out the gate any chance she got. It's amazing!!!
- I am yet to see Mr. Evans train a dog in Personal Protection that could not be trusted around children or people in general.
Additional testimonials on the activities of personal protection trained dogs available by speaking in person to Don Evans.
Home Picture Gallery Testimonials Workshops Professional Dog Training Questions & Answers
EVANS TRAINING CENTRE & BLACK LION KENNELS
5046 Pinnell Road
Williams Lake, BC